Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Man this feels good!!!!

Well, as you can tell by my last post, I am out pounding the pavement again. I really was worried through my 1st 1.66 mile run that my IT band would keep me from running again. But I made it through and didn't push myself. The next 2 runs were only 2 miles, but it helped my confidence in my recovery. This past Saturday, I ran 5 miles with Rich and Mickey. I had only planned on doing 3 or maybe 4 miles. I was going to head out and then turn back at 1.5 to 2 miles. But at both points though I was feeling good and my IT band was feeling awesome. I ended up doing the full 5 miles with them. We did around a 9:30 pace, so it was a good run. I had no pain afterwards and felt good on Sunday. This was good and bad for me. Good that I ran 5 miles and it was pain-free, but bad cause it fueled my desire to run long runs again...hehehe.

Well two days later, I wake up at 5am to run again. But the minute I get up, a wave of nausea hit me. I guess fish and 3 beers for supper was not a good pre-run meal. Anyway, I put my run off until this afternoon. Since today is my birthday, I figured I would give myself a 4 mile run for my birthday. I got home from work and instant changed and stretched out. I hit the pavement and planned on doing 4 miles at a 10:00 pace. I hit the 1st mile in at an 8:36 pace and was like WOW!!! I felt good and the IT band was smooth and sailing. I hit the next mile in 8:53 while running into a headwind. I still felt pretty good, but my breathing was alittle out there. My next mile was at a 9:12 pace. I really struggled with this mile. My breathing got really out of hand and I had to slow to keep from getting a side stitch. My legs felt alittle fatique also. My watch beeped for 3 miles and I found my 2nd wind. I picked up the pace alittle and finished the 4th mile in 8::54. I got 4 miles in 35:35. I was pretty stoked at the 8:54 pace. I was also very happy with the IT band making it through without even a hint of any pain. The only thing that was hurting were my lungs!!!!

I plan on getting in 4 miles on Thursday and then 5 or 6 on Saturday. That will get me 13-14 miles for the week. I know it ain't much to all you hardcore runners, but it is a good start to my recovery.

Until next time.......

1 comment:

Brian said...

It's a very good sign for your recovery. Build up that strength gradually and keep the IT band from shredding itself.