Thursday, April 16, 2009

I'M BBBBBAAAAACCCCCKKKKK!!!

Well after resting my IT band for 4 weeks and gaining 10 lbs, I decided to go against my doctor's advise and start running again. He told me to rest it 6 weeks and go to phyiscal therapy. Well, I'm in the medical field, so I make a horrible patient. I just could not stand it anymore. I put on 10 lbs in 4 weeks and I got back to feeling tired alot. I had to do something. So I started last week with a slow, easy run to see how I would do. After 1.66 miles, my IT band was aching a bit, so I shut it down and didn't push it. Then this past Tuesday morning, I was up at 5am to stretch out good before meeting Rich at 5:45am for a 2 or 3 mile run. I decided about a mile into it, that I needed to take it easy, so I just did 2 miles. Rich ran another to get in 3 miles. He is in the same boat I am with the weight gain. He said he has put on weight since his marathon in December and wants to get back to running. My IT band was killing me after I ran 2 miles. But after about 30 minutes and a HOT shower, it was fine. It was a little tender going up and down steps, but other than that, it was good. I decided I would run 2 miles every other day this week. I might try 3 miles next week depending on how everything goes this week. Well after Noah's game tonight, I got out and did my 2 miles for today. I probably ran alittle harder than I needed too, but it was feeling good. Plus, I was blowing off the stress of a horrible 1st game for our baseball team. Now to rest up for 2 more miles Saturday morning with Rich. Pray that my IT band keeps getting better so I can get up to 5-6 miles at a time.

A shot out to Amy and Vandy-Montana. They are leaving in the morning to run the StL marathon on Sunday. Good Luck to both of you and I will be praying for ya'll to travel safely and run injury free.

Now for a shower and the bed!!!!


Oh yeah, if anyone is on Twitter, look me up!!! I am StangLuvr on there too. Look for that or Jay Austin. Leave me a comment here and I will follow you on Twitter.

3 comments:

Old Man said...

Glad your back. Take it slow and easy. Ice does wonders.

Brian said...

Don't kill your IT band and get discouraged. When I started running, I had pretty severe IT band problems. I took time off, and combated it with strength training. The most critical exercise was The single leg deadlift. It helps strengthen the stabilizing muscles so they don't get all cranky when you run. I've been IT band trouble free for 2 years now - even though I hit 60 miles per week last fall.

Oh, and I just followed you on Twitter. I'm brevetoxin.

RunnerMom said...

I'm glad you are pounding the pavement again! I hope your IT band cooperates as you start building up your base mileage again. What's next for you?

We are having the Wilma Rudolph 5K/10K on June 20 in Clarksville if you need a goal race for the early summer!