Sunday, April 26, 2009

My 2nd week back running review

Well, my 2nd week back from injury went well. I got 4 miles in on Tuesday, 4 miles in on Thursday, and 6 miles on Saturday. All this for a grand total of 14 miles. WOW!!! I know, that is a BIG number!!! Anyway, I am glad to get those 14 miles and stay pain free while running. Yesterday after my 6 miler, my IT band was alittle tender. I don't need to go over 6 miles for a few weeks just to make sure I don't over do it on a long run. I plan on running a 10K on Memorial Day, so I need to get in a 6 miler every weekend until then. I don't really plan on "racing" it, but I do want to finish and be pain free. I do plan on racing the Strawberry Stride on May 16th, so the 4, 5, and 6 mile runs will help me run faster for 3.1 miles. I would love to finish around 24 mins.

I plan on doing the same routine this week as last week. I might throw in a SLOW 2 mile run on one of the off days, but I am not sure yet. I would really like to be up to at least 20 miles a week for the Strawberry Stride. After the 10K, I am hoping to add a 4th day of running to increase up to 22-25 miles a week. By end of summer, I would like to be doing 5 days a week and 30-35 miles a week. I plan on trying to get an 8-10 mile run in at least once a week. I am hoping this builds up to a good running base for me. I am setting my sights on running both The Middle Half and the Music City 1/2 Marathons in October. If they go well, I will be running either the Rocket City Marathon, Las Vegas Marathon, or Memphis Marathon in December. I think if I can stick to this plan, I should a have good running base by August. This way I should not have to start until after the 2 1/2 marathons on 18 plus long runs. I figure get in a couple of 20 milers and an 18 milers and I should be set.

Congrats to RunnerMom for finishing her 1st marathon. You braved the heat and done it. I was thinking about all the runners while I was crying about being hot on my 6 mile run.

See everyone on the pavement....

3 comments:

Vandy-Montana said...

gonna do the trail race this weekend? Gonna be my last race in Tennessee for awhile. hope it doesn't rain

richcook99 said...

You da man, brother. Keep those miles coming!

Brian said...

If you're gonna do it, do the Vegas marathon. Just make sure you include a few days afterward for some fun. You can't get really drunk before a marathon in the desert. (Although I ran a couple of 7 milers around the strip area in November and it was an excellent hangover cure). It sounds like you gave your liver some training over the weekend, though so you may be good to go ;)