Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Today was an EPIC DAY!!!!!!!




Well, this marvelous day is coming to and end. Let me rewind for a minute, and then I will get to today. I woke up Sunday morning to some soreness in my legs. It was nice though. I have not woke up sore from running since I ran the 18 miles in February. Yesterday morning was better, but there still was a small amount of soreness. I considered going for a 2 to 3 mile recovery run just to stretch everything out, but I talked myself out of it. My plan for this week is to do 5 to 6 miles on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Then rest up for the 10K on Monday. I am not going to run it hard, but I would like to finish feeling like I could do another 2 or 3 miles. Now fast foward back to today...

I set the alarm clock for 4:45am to get up to meet Rich at 5:15am to run. I woke the first time at 3:11am, and woke up every 15 to 20 minutes until time to get up. I am always afraid I will overslept and leave Rich hanging with no running partner. My nephew showed up at 5am and we started stretching. We headed down to Rich's house and finished stretching. The plan for this run was to do our usual 4 mile route, but add the Richland Park track loop for a total of 5.6 miles. We have not run over 4 miles in a while. The last time we did 6 miles was April 26th. My IT band hurt after the run too, so I was ready to see where the 3 to 4 weeks of running would do. We headed out at our usual pace and talked the whole way. My legs were feeling great and it was a GREAT morning to be running. When I walked out of the house, I could see my breath!!!! We were staying right around our planned pace of 9:30. I carried my pack of Fruit Punch Shot Bloks with me to try out. At mile 3, I ate 3 of them. The taste is not bad, but there was kinda a funky after taste. They were good and chewy, and seemed to "melt" easy in my mouth. After about 30 seconds of chewing, they were about the texture of a GU gel. I washed them down with a drink of water and thought no more about it. With about a half mile to go, I felt like someone kicked me in the butt!!! I don't know if it was the Shot Bloks or the endorphines from the run, but I was FEELING GREAT!!!! I finished up thinking I could do 2 or 3 more! GOOD TIMES!!!!

I got a shower and headed out to take the kiddos to school. I drove the new Edge to work today. BTW, I TRADED IN MY 2007 MUSTANG GT FOR A 2009 FORD EDGE?!?!?!? I know, stupid, but I got to keep mama happy...hehehe. Anyway, on the way to school I switch over to 80's on 8 on Sirus Radio. They are rocking good music all the way to work!!!! So all is well, until I get a text from a buddy of mine, then everything turns EPIC!!!! He tells me John Wall has commited to UK! I was stoked! I ran around the office like a mad man telling everyone (like they cared). Then to top it all off and put icing on the cake, my daughter's team beat the #1 team in softball tonight. She played very well and I am proud of her.

On one more thing, my wife has lost 44 lbs now and is down 5 pant sizes! She is wearing my XL t-shirts now too! She walked 4 miles yesterday and ran just about 0.5 miles of it. I know, not that far, but if you remember, we all started somewhere. I am sooooo proud of her!!!!

Now to bed and some rest. My kids are skipping the 1/2 day of school tomorrow so I can sleep in (6:45am yeah!!!).....

Happy Running!

1 comment:

Brian said...

Congrats to you (and UK and your daughter and your wife). Sleep in until 6:45...you all deserve it :).