Sunday, August 9, 2009

2009 Garden Spot 5K Race Review

Well yesterday was the Garden Spot 5k in Franklin, KY. This was the race that I PR'ed in last year. I have been running this summer, but not like I was last summer. At this point last year, I believe I was running 4-6 miles every other day. I need to work on that now since I have like 5 1/2 marathons planned starting in October. Anyway, Rich agreed to run this race with me this year. I picked him up at 6:30am and we headed out. Got to the start at about 10 minutes til 7am and got signed up. I should have known when I didn't get a race shirt because they were out of them that today was not going to be my day. I guess my 1st mistake was not eatting my usual 2 Special K cereal bars for breakfast. So I guess the T-shirt thing was #2. Any yes, for me anyway, bad things happen in 3s. Rich and I stretched out and ran a bit to get warmed up. I was feeling good and felt like I could get close to my secret goal of 24 minutes. I was wanting to go under 26 minutes for sure, but was hoping to put up a good time again this year. Rich and I talked about paces and he was planning an 8:45/mile pace. I told him to grab me and drag me to the finish if I crashed and burned in my attempt for a good time. Everyone got lined up at the starting line and I slide in behind the "shirtless" fast guys. I still don't understand why a person would want to run a race shirtless!!! Anyway, the siren sounds and we take off. About 1/2 mile in I glance down at my Garmin and I am running under a 6:30 pace. I felt ok with it and was hoping to atleast finish out the 1st mile quick and then settle into an 8:00/mile pace for the last 2.1 miles. I cross the 1 mile mark in 7:01. I was starting to feel that quick mile too. Last year I did a 7:04 1st mile and was probably 15th at that point. This year, I was probably 30th. This was a waaaaaaay faster group this year. About 1/2 mile into mile #2 I was starting to feel the effects of going out way to fast. I slowed my pace and tried to control my breathing. I got to mile #2 and crossed it at an 8:23/mile pace. That is when the wall was crashed into mentally by me (bad thing #3). I got a side stitch and all of a sudden I felt like I was running in an oven. I ended up stopping and walking for 20 seconds or so to try and catch my breath. I was trying to pump myself up mentally to finish strong and push for the sub-24 minute finish, but I had NOTHING left in the tank. On the 2nd short walk break I took I heard someone call out "Come on boy, don't stop now!!" I looked up and Rich was coming up beside me. I was excited to see him and knew he was going to pull me into the finish. But after about 0.2 miles, I told him to go on without me. HE WAS FLYING!!! I felt like I was having to almost sprint to keep up with him. So with about 1/2 mile to go, I watched Rich run off and leave me. I was thinking I would try to pick it up and sprint to the end to catch him, but I knew that I had nothing left to accomplish it. Come to find out, he passed like 4 people on the last straight and finished in 24:30ish. He ran an 8:04, 8:04, and then a 7:30-7:45 min/mile for the last mile. That is why there was no way I was going to be able to keep up with him. He had a GREAT race and I should have just ran with him instead of trying to do something crazy. I ended up coasting down the last straight and then having to sprint the last 20 yards to keep from getting passed by 2 people. The last mile was at a 9:11/mile pace. Kinda sad after running the 1st one in 7:01!!!! I ended up finishing 49th out of 166 runners. I was 9th out of 18 in my age group (30-34). I had a time of 25:18. I did accomplish my goal of under 26 minutes, but I should have paced myself way better and I might have accomplished it. I was not happy with my run and I will try and learn from it for the future.

On a brighter note, I did come home and hop on my road bike for a ride. I did 10 miles in 45 mins. It felt good to get out and ride my bike, but I think I have a low back tire. The bike felt funny when I took turns or curves at speed, so I had to slow way down to make sure I didn't crash.

I plan on running 4 miles in the morning and sometime this week getting in a 6-miler. I would really like to do 4 on Monday, 6 on Tues, 4 on Thursday, and then 6 0r 7 on Saturday. My next planned race in the Franklin Classic 10K on Labor Day. I hope to have a good race then.

Happy running to all and I hope everyone's races or runs went better than my did this weekend.

2 comments:

KLH said...

Your boo is still very, very proud of you..you finished that's all that matters! Miss you guys!

Brian said...

Good job. At least you got under 26. Once you get a good base of easy miles, get in some tempo runs. Those will mentally prepare you for the hard race pace and help keep you from burning out at the end.