Saturday, August 22, 2009

WOW, What A Week!!!

Well, my daughter's soccer practices started this week to go along with my son's baseball practices. Needless to say, We are very busy now. I usually run in the mornings, so I can't really use all this as excuses, but by the time we get home, get cleaned up, and kids get to bed, it usually is 9pm. Then I do what I have to do, and it is 10:30-11pm by the time I climb in bed. This is hard on me since I like to sleep and 5:15am comes early. Anyway, let's talk about running.

Rich and I got in 5 miles on Monday. I took the day off due to it being my wife's birthday, so we ran after taking the kids to school. The humidity was up, and man was I feeling it the last mile. Rich had to almost drag me the final mile. Tuesday came and we took a rest day due to Rich's knee being sore. I could have ran, but I was just lazy and didn't want to run alone. Wednesday, we did 3 miles. Thursday, Rich was resting and I was going to do 4 miles, but like always, I was lazy. Friday come around and Rich did some miles. I didn't run with him due to having SWAT training and the Commander usually tries to kill us physically. Training ended up being a GREAT day of repelling and not alot of physical stuff. The one thing that sucks though is the Commander knows I am a runner, so when there was a need for a runner to run the course with the guys trying out, then he calls on me. I ended up running about 1.5 total yesterday in full SWAT gear with the guys trying out for the team. Nothing fast, but at least it was alitle mileage added to the weekly total. This mileage was in combat boots and about 30 extra pounds too!!! Today rolled around and the alarm went off at 6:30am. I shut it off and went right back to sleep. My daughter had us up at 3am throwing up with a stomach bug, so there was no way I was getting up early and running. When I finally got out of bed at 10am, I seen it was a beautiful and cool day outside. I laid around for awhile and felt guilty for not running my scheduled 8 miles. So I finally got up and got to it. My son rode his bike the whole way with me. I ended my 8 miles with a 9:23/mile pace. Not too bad!!! I didn't want to run too fast and risk my shins hurting more. I think my son was hurting more than I was by the end of the 8 miles. Surprisingly, I felt great after my 8 miles and I don't have any aches or pains (not yet at least). I am 2.5 short from my planned 20 miles this week, so I will probably get them in tomorrow afternoon. I hope to get 22 miles next week with a 10 mile run to end the week on Saturday.

Happy running to all and hopefully see some of you soon at a race!!!

1 comment:

Redneck Asian said...

Hope your daughter is feeling well, man! I feel ya on the training schedule, I get a little more time because I only have 1 child, but having 2 or more I'm sure can be like juggling.

I used to have shin splints when I first started running just like you man. It took 1-2 years to get rid of, no lie. Just a suggestion, I bought these:

http://www.mcdavidusa.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=83&DEPARTMENT_ID=199

The worked awesome! Then ice treatments helped as well. I would have never made it in my first 15k if I didn't have these. They are well worth the money.