Monday, August 10, 2009

Got in a 6 miler this evening!!!!

Well, I had plans to get up at 5:30am and do 4 solo miles this morning. I had in my mind to start this week off right and get up and run on Monday morning like I am supposed too. Well, the dog woke me up at 6:45am wanting to go out!!! I barely had time to get up and showered, get the kids up, get them dressed and feed, and get out the door to drop them at school and head to work. I had to get my wife up after 2 hrs of sleep (she works until 3am in the ER and gets home around 3:45-4:00am) to help. I was bummed all day that I didn't get a run in, but I knew I could get it in this evening. I got home and ate a light supper and then chilled for an hour or so. My son and I went out and he practiced pitching to get ready for this fall's baseball season. He did well tonight and I can't wait for games to actually start. Anyway, after we practiced, I came in and got dressed. It was still alittle hot outside and really humid, but if I waited until sun down I knew I would not get done running until the kids were already in bed. I headed out and planned on 4 miles or so. When I got to around the 2 mile mark, I decided to turn and run through the park and hit the 1.2 mile loop inside. It was nice running through there and watching the pee wee football teams practicing. I came out of the park and checked my Garmin, I had in 3.17 miles so far. I walked for about 30 seconds and took some slips of water. Then I headed back towards my house on my usual running route. I ended up having to run up and down my street to get in the last remaining 1/2 mile or so for a total of 6 miles. My legs felt good during the run. The heat at times affected my breathing, but I kept a pretty good handle on it. I got the same side stitch on this run as I did on Saturday. I am beginning to think I might have a knot in one of my muscles on that side that needs to be worked out. Anyway, I was happy to get in another 6 miler and work towards a good week of mileage. I do need to pick up another pair of compression socks since I lost mine on vacation. I really think they help my shins. the inside of my left shin above my ankle is getting alittle tender again. Last time it done this, I picked up the compression socks and started wearing them. After about 2 weeks, the pain was pretty much gone. Now that I think about it, I did start wearing new shoes then too. I got about 230-240 miles on my Saucony's. I am planning on picking up a new pair at the 1st of Sept. My son gets his braces on his teeth next week, so my extra $$$$ for running gear is going to be cut down to almost nothing!!!!

Happy running and I hope to see you guys and gals at a race soon!!!!

1 comment:

RunnerMom said...

Wow, I just read your race schedule! You are going to be a busy man. I'll be at the Clarksville Half Marathon (that's what I'm training the people for) and I'm attempting another full marathon---St. Jude December 5 in Memphis. I didn't realize Cookville had jumped on the half-marathon bandwagon. Next Springfield and Portland and Ashland City will be having one.....

I'm training much differently this time. I'm running 5 days a week, mostly at a slow, easy pace. No speedwork for now in my training plan, but I'm cheating a little since I'm doing a 5K on Aug. 22. My last 5K on June 27 in Springfield was a disaster. I ran stupid, to put it bluntly and burned out half-way.