Saturday, February 14, 2009

I finished off week 6 with a bang.....

I DID IT!!!! I ran my scheduled 12 miles this morning all by myself. I was worried how I would do, but I just had to dig deep and keep putting one foot in front of the other. I had planned on last night trying to keep a 9:30 min/mile pace going (or around that). When I started, it was hard to run at that pace. I felt strong and wanted to go faster, but I knew I needed to save some energy. I have found out over the past 2 Saturdays that getting up out of bed and running without eatting sucks. I get about 45 minutes into my run and feel out of gas. I planned for it though and took my trusty Jelly Bellies jelly beans with me. I use the orange ones, but I plan on getting fruit punch next time. I ate them 45 minutes into the run. About 10 minutes after I ate them, I felt them kick in. Now it might all be in my head, but I did seem to be able to hold my pace better. I got about 8.5 miles into it and hit a wall though. I felt spent and I didn't have any more jelly beans to eat. I pushed through it and was approaching town. Who wants to run through town looking like they are about to die? I don't being that I know 1/2 to 3/4 of the people in Portland. Once back in town, I felt pretty good and check my Garmin, only 2 more miles to go. Since I was about 2 1/2 to 3 miles from my house, I knew I could finish it. I was 1/2 mile from the house when my watch beeped for 12 miles. I stopped and began to stretch out some using a neighbor's mailbox. My legs felt good. My knees where alittle sore. But my arches where hurting. I have about 275 miles on a $50 pair of running shoes, so I figure that is why my arches have begun to hurt. I walked the rest of the way home and kinda felt like crying. I was proud of myself even if no one else was. This was my new PR for distance. I had ran alitle over 10 miles in Oct. or Nov, but this was 12 miles. I even did pretty well on target pace of 9:30 min/mile. I finished with a 9:42 min/mile. I came in and showered than ate some breakfast. I am getting ready to go out to dinner with my wife right now and I am feeling pretty good. No soreness (yet atleast) and my knees and arches are feeling good. Let's see what tomorrow morning holds though.



I hope everyone did well at the Frostbite 1/2 marathon. As of right now, I plan on making the Strider's training run next week. Can I tag along with someone if they need a running partner?



End of week 6 totals

Scheduled miles - 24 miles Actual miles - 19 miles (missed Thursday's 5 mile run)

Not bad. But the soreness sucks. I will have to get use to it in week 7.

No comments: