Monday, February 23, 2009

Insert your own title here....

OK, so I could not come up with a title today. I have about 100 of them, but could not pick one. Anyway, so much for the running high I was on from Saturday. I came back down to Earth today. It was butt freakin' cold this morning at 5am, so I just decided to skip the morning run and do it this afternoon. My wife just told me to be back in time for her to go to the gym. She as lost almost 30 lbs now since the 1st of the year. I am very proud of her. I looked forward to running all day since I did well Saturday. My soreness was almost gone and I felt good. I got home around 4:45pm and immediately changed into my running gear and started stretching. My wife was already cooking supper and said it would be ready by the time I got home. I told her I had 4 easy miles scheduled today and I should be back in 35-40 minutes. I headed out, turned on my MP3 player, and started down my street. At the end of my road (0.25 miles), I turned and headed back towards the house. My left calf was already throbbing, but I figured it would calm down once I got warmed up. I ran away from the house and through my neighborhood just like normal. I got to about 3/4 of a mile and my calf had not stopped hurting. It was actually hurting enough that I was changing my stride to compensate for the pain. I knew I would never make it 4 miles, so as my Garmin beeped for 1 mile, I shut down and stopped. I tried to stretch out, but I could not get it to relax. I finally decided to walk back home in shame. I felt like the biggest loser on the way back. I know I had set a new personal distance record so far on Saturday, but I figured I could get in an easy 4 miles today. To top everything off, on my walk of shame back home, one of our friends from down the street pulled up next to me. She was checking on me and ribbing me that I was walking instead of running. When I told her about my calf, she understood and said I probably over did it on Saturday. When I go home, my wife thought I had ran 4 mins in like 15 minutes (I wish). She then seen me limping a bit and got worried. I told her I was fine and that I my legs were just shot. I ended up with ice packs on both my calves for about 30-45 minutes while I ate supper and watched the news. I plan on skipping tomorrow's 4 mile run. That sucks too because Rich was running with me in the morning. I hope to get some mileage in on Thursday. I might try to run on Wednesday if I feel like it.

Hope everyone else had a good run today. Some run an extra mile for me tomorrow!!!!

1 comment:

Vandy-Montana said...

Looking at your runs, I may offer some advice to you. Your long run may be too long for your mileage base during the week. You don't want your long run to be over 50% of your total weekly milage, or else you'll be susceptible to injury. I guess there would be two ways to fix this: either tone down your long run for the week, or increase your milage during the week leading up to your long run. I like my long run to be no more than 33-38% of my weekly total. Just a thought.