Sunday, March 15, 2009

The End Is upon Me

Well, all good things must come to an end. I have decided to shelf my plans to run the Country Music Marathon. I am tired of my nagging pains and just want to get healthy again. After talking with other runners and searching online, I have decided that I need to work on building a good base of mileage before I tackle the training for a marathon again. I plan on taking a couple of weeks off from running completely to let my right IT band heal and my shin on my left leg get better. This is all self diagnosing. I have an appointment with a sports medicine doctor tomorrow to have everything checked out. As long there is nothing serious going on, I plan on a 2 week break. I will be hitting the gym to do some core strengthening and low impact cardio. I hope to maintain some of my "running wind" by doing this. I plan on starting to run again with 4 weeks to go until the Country Music 1/2 Marathon. I am going to start off slow, and if all goes well, run the 1/2 Marathon. You can see by the Scheduled Races list on the right that I want to run alot this year. This list is not an absolute thing, but they are races I would like to do. I made this decision to help my running career. Why settle for a marathon once and hurt myself so I can't run, or back off, train better and run many of them.

Thanks to everyone for your support in my marathon training. I am sorry I am letting you down, but I have to do what is right for my body right now. PLEASE, stay tuned to my blog as I continue my training. I will be watching yours to see how you are training/racing.

OH YEAH, GO RIGHT NOW AND BUY YOU SOME COMPRESSION SOCKS. I picked up some on Friday to wear during the 1/2 on Saturday. My calves were not even a bit sore today. I wore them during the race, came home and washed them, and then wore them the rest of the day. Between the socks and the ice bath, I had NO SORENESS in my calves. For that matter, I had no soreness in my legs except for my right IT band.

Now back to icing down my knee.....I hope to see everyone in a few weeks at a race somewhere.

1 comment:

Brian said...

I had some pretty bad problems with my IT band when I was in about the same portion of my "running career" as you are. I finally kicked the problem with some strength training. Specifically, the single leg deadlift helped me immensely. Once you're past the pain and tightness of your current bout with IBS, try to run a mile at faster than your normal pace. If you can do that without pain, then work in the single leg deadlift 2-3 times per week. It will help strengthen the muscle that tightens up, resulting in the IT band syndrome.

Though the pain usually manifests itself in your knee, the source of the problem is actually in your butt. The IT band is a fibrous piece of tissue that is attached to a muscle in your hip, bypasses your femur and attaches to your tibia (shin bone) on the other end. When the muscle in your hip gets tight, it pulls the IT band taut, causing it to rub against the lateral condyle of your femur (the bump on the outside part of your knee). This starts to shred the tissue and makes you hurt. You can usually obtain temporary relief by massaging your rear on the same side as the pain with your knuckles.

I hope that helps. Good luck!