Saturday, March 7, 2009

The PWP 11.2 and ice baths

Everything worked out and I was able to go to the Nashville Strider's 21 Mile training run this morning. I got in bed last night alittle later (9:45pm) than I wanted too (8:30pm). Between the dog getting up and down all night and the smoke alarm going because the battery was low, I got about 4 hours of sleep. I had set the alarm clock for 4:15am to give myself plenty of time. I ended up crawling out of be at 4:45 and rushing ot get out the door. I made sure I started hydrating yesterday and I spent all day yesterday carb loading. I still drank a gatoraide and a bottle of water on the way down, just to be sure. When I arrived around 6am, there were about 50 people standing around. Shortly after getting out of my truck, they began to do a group stretch. I thought it was still alittle early, but I stepped in and started to stretch with them. While trying to get my MP3 player going, I seen Peter getting stuff out of his car and setting up the 11.2 water stop. I figured out real quick I was not with the Striders, but another training group. So I made my way over to Peter and the othe Striders that were there.

We got started right at 6:30am. I spent most of my time between 6:00-6:30am stretching. While Peter was giving the run down of the run, I spoted Vandy-Montana and Amy. They were towards the back of the crowd, so I didn't want to yell at them. When everything started, I seen them go by, but was unable to say anything to them. So maybe at the Tom King 1/2, we might actually get to talk prior to the race.

We left from he water stop and headed into the park. Now I have already heard about the PWP 11.2 and how hilly it was. I remember ready somewhere about 1 mile hill. Well, about 0.2 miles into the run, we were already climbing our 1st hill. I decided this run I would try to stay around a 1o min/mile pace. I dropped into the pack of runners towards the back on the start and slowing started making my way up the 1st hill. Well, I found out later that there are more hills then I care to describe here. Some of them where short and steep, and some were long and steady. There is not that much flat surface on this run. There was one hill that just kept going and going. I seen the top ahead of me just around a curve. I just kept telling myself that it was alittle bit more to the top and it would be over. When I got to the curve and rounded it, there was another good stretch of hill left to climb. I was heartbroken. But, I put my head down and kept going. I did make it to the water stop at the Steeplechase and stop for abit to get some fluids. After cramping up 2 weeks ago, I didn't want to skip out on fluids. Before the water stop, I meet Bonnie. She is from Kentucky and was training for her next marathon. I believe she told me she had ran 54 marathons so far and was working on running one in every state. She has 34 out of the 50 states completed so far. I ran with her for probably 6 miles just chatting and talking about running. She was running at a pace that was comfortable for me, so I just followed along. The last mile of the run seemed like it was all downhill. I liked that because I think it was the only downhill I had seen all day. When I got to the 11.2 water stop, I stopped to get some fluids again. I felt good since I had just slayed the 11.2 PWP dragon...hehehe. My truck was 20 yards away, and I thought about calling it a day, but I didn't. I headed out down Belle Mead Blvd and then turned on Tyne (I think) on my way towards Radnor Lake. I only had 16 miles to do today, so I didn't want to do anymore than that. I made it to the stop sign on Tyne and decided to start heading back. I ended up cutting my run 2 miles short. I know I can't do that in the marathon, but after running those hills, I was tired. I did end up walking about 5 times throughout the run. Most of them were to eat my Jelly Bellys and drink some fluids from the water I had carried with me. I walked once on Tyne going away from the park, and then once more on my way back to the park. All in all, I was happy with the run and proud of myself for doing the 11.2 loop. I don't want to go back anytime soon though. All in all, I got in 14 miles today in 2 hrs and 27 mins. I think my pace was 10.33 min/mile. That was alittle slower than I had planned, but the walking probably caused it to go up alittle.

I got home and decided to try the ice bath thing again. This time, I followed Amy's instructions on how she does it. I ran cold water in the tub and then got in. OUCH!!!! It was really cold on the boys and I sat down. I then took all the ice out of the ice maker and poured it into the water. It took the ice cubes about 15-20 mins to melt totally. It felt good on my legs, but man was I freezing. I was wrapped in a towel and shivering when my wife came in. She just laughed at me. Now I am sitting watching my beloved Wildcats flush their season down the drain against Florida. I got alittle soreness in my right knee. I have it wrapped with ice right now and it elevated. I ain't that worried about it. Alittle pain after a good run is common for me now.

Now it is time to see if the ice bath works for me tomorrow morning. I plan on running on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday of next week before the Tom King 1/2. I hope my legs are ready!!!!!

Happy Running tomorrow....It is a rest day for me (even though I thought of doing an easy 2 mile run just to help recover).

2 comments:

Vandy-Montana said...

You should have said something! We got there right as they started...

You probably were blinded from the reflections coming from my noggin.


We'll be at tom king

Old Man said...

Ice bath rocks. Did my second ever after my 21.5 miler on Sunday. Did about the same rountine as you, except left on my shorts, (keep the boys a little warmer) and wrapped the upper body in a towel and a hat to put my ipod. legs felt great today.