Sunday, March 8, 2009

The end of week 9 and a recap of February

Well the run yesterday at Percy Warner Park ended up my 9th week of training. It was a good week. Right now, all I am having is some soreness here and there and a nagging pain here or there. All in all, I feel pretty good. I awoke this morning to some soreness in my calves, thighs, and butt. After moving around for about an hour or so, most of the soreness was gone. My right knee is tender on the lateral side. I am keeping ice on it as much as possible and keeping it wrapped when I am up walking around. I don't think it is much to worry about though. I am planning on 4 miles tomorrow and 6 miles on Tuesday. I probably will go for 4-6 miles on Thursday and then rest for the Tom King 1/2 marathon on Saturday.



So on now to the weekly and monthly totals....


End of week 9 totals
Scheduled miles - 30 miles
Actual miles - 28.59 miles (I did 14 yesterday instead of 16)
****Not too bad, pretty close to scheduled miles****

Month of February Totals
Scheduled miles - 97 miles
Actual miles - 64.22 miles (23 miles missed in week 8 after the 18 miler)
****Mileage is down from where it needs to be. The missed week hurt it more than anything. This was still my highest mileage month to date. July 08 I ran 48-49 miles. Hopefully March will be my new best month.****

Now to get up in the morning and get a slow 4 miles in to see how the legs feel......

2 comments:

RunnerMom said...

I'm starting to get tired of the aches and pains that pretty much never go away at this point. Glad I'm not the only one.

Sounds like the 16 went well. You seem to be in great spirits regarding the marathon. It is encouraging to hear about the lady from KY who has run 50+ marathons and sounds about like my pace. Some people "can't believe" I'm training for a marathon because I'm a back-of-the pack runner. They need to get over it!

Your mileage is going to be a bit heavier than mine this week. I think I'm doing 5 or 6 today, maybe 3 tomorrow, and 3 on Wed. I'm taking Thurs/Fri off from running to do a mini-taper for Tom King. I think I might spin or something on Thurs.

My buddy and I are getting nervous about the TK. We've heard it's such an easy course, so we've put all sorts of expectations/pressure on ourselves. And we don't want to look like dorks on the Jumbotron at the finish.

Brian said...

Sounds like the ice bath helped you. My method is a little different. I set a 20 lb bag of ice in the bathroom next to the tub. I usually sit in the tub when it's empty, then run the cold water until it covers my legs completely. Then, I turn the water off and pour in the 20 lb bag of ice. It seems to help to gradually get used to the cold water before the ice goes in. Everyone has a different method. The important part is just to spend 10-20 minutes in the ice water. I try to read a book chapter while I'm in there. It helps take my mind off the cold.

In any case, it does sound like you're in good shape to finish your marathon.