Friday, March 27, 2009

well, it has been 2 weeks...

Tomorrow will be exactly 2 weeks since I last run. It sucks, but life goes on. I have not been blogging much just to keep my mind off running. Rich text me early in the week to see if I wanted to run 3 miles with him. I said sure, but then I was afraid of how my IT band would do. Well, it didn't really matter, it rained that morning and we cancelled. I plan on trying a very EASY 3 miles Monday to see how I do. I hope everything goes well!!!! I have to get back to running soon, but I want to get better too. I have been looking over base mileage info on the net the past few days. I think when I get back to running, I will spend more time just building a good base. I would like to run 5 days a week with Saturday being my "long" day. I am looking at a schedule something like this to begin....

Sunday-off
Monday-4 miles
Tuesday-2 miles
Wednesday-off
Thursday-4 miles
Friday-off
Saturday-6 miles

I know it is only 18 miles in 4 days, but I am unsure where to put another 2 to 3 miles in. Should I do it on Sunday for a "recovery" day, or put it in on Wednesday or Friday. I think starting slow and working back up to 30-40 miles per week will help me stay healthy. I REALLY want to run the CM 1/2, but I don't want to chance hurting again. I would like to run 5 days a week so that when I do get to 40, 50, or 60 miles a week, I will be comfortable running 5 out of 7 days.

I also know I need to be in the gym doing full body strength training and core workouts. I have been VERY VERY lazy the past 2 weeks. I have not been eatting as good as I was. I don't need to put on weight while trying to nurse injuries.

Well, wish me luck. I think I am at a BIG point in my running career and I need to make some good decisions to keep my career going.

Any advise or comments are welcome!!! What do you think?

1 comment:

Brian said...

Really your long run should be no more than 25% of your total weekly mileage. You should definitely get yourself up to 5 runs per week once you're healthy. You'll definitely need to be at 6 days per week if you want to get to 60 miles per week. In fact, many people who are above 50 miles per week will do two workouts per day.

So, here's what I'd do:

Monday: 4 miles
Tuesday: 4 miles
Wednesday: 4 miles
Thursday: 4 miles
Friday: Off
Saturday: 6 miles
Sunday: 2 miles

That way you're at 24 miles per week, your 6 miles is 25% of your total weekly mileage. You get a day of rest before your long run and a short 2 miler on Sunday to keep the legs loose for the next week.

If you're going to start with lesser mileage, run a shorter long run.