Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Well I made my decision

Well, I went to bed last night and could not go to sleep. I was tossing and turning for at least 30 minutes before I decided to get up. I was lying there thinking about my training so far and where I am at today. I have come along way since I got back from my mission trip to Honduras on Jan. 27th. I have ran 18 miles, which I didn't think I could do until after I did it. I was thinking about my training to come. I have scheduled 16 miles for this Saturday, 18 after that, 20 more the next week, then down to 14 for a week, then back up to my last 20 miler. I look at that and want to puke. I have a full plate of work, church, kids' practices, and family time to consider. I don't know if I will honestly have time to do all the long runs like I need too. I then started looking at the training plan for the 1/2 marathon. The longest run for it is a 12 miler. That would be very good for Saturdays when both kids have practice on Saturday morning. I would not have to punish myself into missing another week of running from soreness after a long run.

With all that said, I DECIDED LAST NIGHT TO PUT MY PLANS FOR A MARATHON ON HOLD AND JUST DO THE 1/2.

I still want to do a marathon, and might try for one late fall/early winter of this year, but for now, I will do the 1/2. Afterwards, I can spend the rest of spring and summer building a good base of 20-30 miles a week. I plan to hit atleast one 5K /10K a month anyway.

Fast forward to now. Vandy-Montana and Amy (someone needs to show me how to hyperlink) think I should keep training and run the marathon. Rich told me Sunday afternoon that he felt I could get the full without walking or with walking a short bit. Some of the people I talked to today want me to keep going. Vandy-Montana did say to sign up for the marathon and keep training. Come time, if I don't feel ready, change to the 1/2 at the Expo (Plus he is going to make fun of me when I run by with a 1/2 big on!!!!). So I don't know what the heck I will do.

Anyway, Rich and I decided to run tomorrow morning in 40 degree weather instead of this morning in the low teen's chill. We are doing 4 or 5 in the morning and then 4 or 5 Thursday. I may do 1 or 2 more for a total of 6 miles on one of the days.

Well, I need to hit the bed to get some sleep before running tomorrow morning.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you've made the right decision. With your relatively low mileage and lingering injury issues, you will have a much better experience in the half. Just my two cents...